Monday, October 1, 2012

On Being Content - Philippians 4:11

This morning, I posted this scripture as my status update on Facebook, "Philippians 4:11 (KJV) Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." 

When I did a search on "content" to find the scripture I wanted, the scriptures with the words "contentious" and "contention" showed up in my results. I thought about how these words are spelled with the word "content" yet how far apart their meanings are. If I am content in my life, then I am not contentious. 

Ironically, when my husband went out to go to school, the transmission went out on the Tracker.  It is our primary mode of transportation.  We were planning on having the brakes repaired on Jack's truck while he is on fall break from school, and have been saving up for that.  Now that money will have to go toward the transmission, as well as the money I have been putting aside for a new laptop.

Now, I am not going to say that I didn't get upset.  But I did spend my 30 minutes of pushing around the exercise equipment talking to God about it.  I counted my blessings. By the end of my half hour workout, I felt better.  


I have to ask myself, as I sit here writing this, if this was the devil's attempt at making a mockery of my post.  Was he trying to get me to lose that contentment I felt this morning when I got up? Was that wily wolf in sheep's clothing trying to make me contentious?  He didn't succeed.  Yes, I was upset.  However, I didn't blow things out of proportion.  Instead, I took a deep breath, called the mechanic and made arrangements to have it towed.

I have found that the more time I spend meditating on God's word and praying, the more content I become.  The more content I become the less I am devastated by the catastrophes that are thrown at me.  As long as contentment does not turn into complacency, I think I will be okay.

Today, I am taking back the contentment that I almost lost this morning. 

Have a great day everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment